The IVF Rollercoaster
I have a friend who is going through IVF. She has been waiting 3 months like I have to wait. She doesn't ovulate. Her DH has severe MF. IVF was her best chance at having a child. She went on BCP in December and stayed on them straight until the end of January. She was put on the long Lupron protocol and began stimming at the end of January.
Her first u/s revealed 20 follicles! Her E2 was above 500. I was so happy for her and so jealous at the same time. I never could get more than 1-2 follicles. She progressed very quickly and her levels were lowered. When her E2 hit 3600 and the largest 12 follicles were big enough she triggered. Her ER was Feb. 9. I got the report later in the day....the RE got 27 eggs! My heart raced for her and sank for me. I was thrilled! The long 24 hour wait for the fertilization report was next.
My friend was so optimistic. She is 27.....they got 27 eggs....with that many eggs, surely they would do a 5 day transfer.....tnasfer date would be Valentine's Day....surely these were all good signs of good things to come.....
I received an email yesterday from another friend of mine. My IVF friend had called her with the fertilization report. The news was not good. In fact, it was devastating.
Out of 27 eggs that were retrieved, 2 fertilized. Of the 2 that fertilized, 1 imploded leaving only 1 egg. From the sound of it, that 1 egg didn't seem to be doing all that great so things are now very much up in the air.
My heart sank. I felt so very guilty of being jealous. I can't imagine what my friend must be thinking. All the time...all the money.....all the dreams....
What a rollercoaster. And I am thinking of doing this a 3rd time?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home