Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The problem with time on your hands

A couple of weeks ago a friend of mine sent me an e-card. It was a very nice e-card. This friend has a knack of sending me these little cards when I need them the most.

In this e-card, it complemented T and me regarding this adoption. The e-card mentioned what a wonderful thing we are doing and how selfless adoption is.

I have been thinking about this ever since then.

Is adoption really selfless? Because I feel kind of selfish. I mean...we are adopting because we want another child. We are adopting because we have the means to do it.

Children from Vietnam are put up for adoption typically due to poverty. It isn't that the birthparents don't want their children...it is because they cannot provide for them. As a mom, I couldn't even think of giving a child up for adoption. The heartache....the pain.....I can only imagine what the birthparent(s) must have felt when they left their child.

So here T and I come along and take a child (wanted more than you could imagine) halfway around the world. More likely than not, this child will never be able to locate his/her birthparents. This child is being raised in a culture very different from the one he/she was born.

Is that really selfless? I don't know.

I do know we can provide a very loving and caring home. We can provide for another child (or two). We want to love another child.

I guess it is a matter of perspective. I do see both sides of the coin - the selfless side and the selfish side. Neither one is right. Neither one is wrong. It just is.

And this is the problem when the deadlines at work are being met and there isn't much I can do but wait for the home study interviews and Dr appts. - I have too much time on my hands!

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Nina, I tend to think that adoption is neither selfless nor selfish but a mutually beneficial situation. The circumstances that lead to the decision for birthparents to place children for adoption are sad but beyond immediate control. Im sure the bp's were hoping for someone as kind and wonderful as you and Tom to step in to bring that child into your lives and hearts.

Thursday, June 01, 2006 7:35:00 AM  
Blogger msfitzita said...

I honestly don't think there's anything selfish about wanting another child, be it one of your own or one that you take and make your own by showering it with the kind of all-encompassing love only a parent knows how to give.

((((((HUGS)))))))

Saturday, June 03, 2006 2:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home