I'm a mom in denial
I don't even know where to begin or what to write. JT had his first eye exam this morning. We waited four months to get him an appointment with a pediatric ophthalmologist. Why did we decide to get his eyes checked at the age of 2? It is simple....At JT's 2 year check up, I asked my Ped at what age you typically take a child to the eye Dr. The Ped asked if we had a history of lazy eye. I told him I did not and T did not, but my sister did. My Pediatrician told us to take him now since my sister had a very mild case of lazy eye as a child. In fact, it was so mild, she didn't have surgery and didn't wear glasses for it. It corrected itself.
So I made the appt. and off we go. I was really expecting a routine check to make sure JT's eye muscles were ok and that would be that.....I would get the see you when he hits Kindergarten speech.
I am very mixed at what I was told. One side of me says I am a mom in denial and this Dr is full of crap. The other side of me wonders if I did anything wrong (other than have an icky genetic makeup) to cause this. I spent my entire commute to work crying.
I was told JT has severe farsightedness. While this is common in children and tends to correct itself, JT is severely farsighted for his age and it probably wouldn't correct itself. Normal for his age would be a +1 or +2. At +4 or +5, glasses are prescribed. JT is +7. The Dr even said at +7, he should be cross-eyed. JT is not even close to being cross-eyed.
JT loves to read and finds things to pick up off the floor that I can't even see. If he is so farsighted, why can he see little things from a close distance? I just don't get it.
I was told he needs glasses and a follow up appt. in 6 months.
The Dr also mentioned that if I went to see 5 other Pediatric Opthamologists, they would tell me the same thing.
I am in total shock and am devastated.
After the appt., I stopped in at the optical center associated with the Dr's office. The guy brought out 3 of the most ugly plastic (and expensive) frames. No sooner than the glasses were put on JT, he promptly took them off. So even if he DOES need glasses, how is he ever going to wear them anyway? I told the guy I couldn't do this now and walked out.
So confusing.....no symptoms....no signs....but my child can't see shit?
After spending a few hours calming down I called another Pediatric Ophthalmologist. I made JT an appt to get a second opinion. I DO want to hear 5 other Drs tell me the same thing. I'll start with 1 confirming this diagnosis.
I have no problem getting JT glasses if he needs them. I am just not 100% convinced he really does (the denial part). The second Drs office told me I would not be doing any damage to JT's eyes if we held off on the glasses for the next couple of weeks since he isn't showing any symptoms. That at least made me feel better. The guilt I have for NOT getting him glasses and thinking it would cause more damage was really bothering me.
So....no more ear tubes, but we are replacing that with a possible eye issue.
It is a good thing we are adopting....at least we won't make another child with all of these problems due to our genes....

12 Comments:
((HUGS)) Please stop blaming yourself. I would for sure get another opinion or 2. In my experience w/eye docs, they vary on what they tell you.
If you are a mom in denial, so am I. Trust your instincts a little. I think your game plan is great. Recently our 9yo suddenly complained that she could not see the board at all (despite being in the front row at school) - not straining, but at all. But then it went away a bit later. We took her to the doc to be sure but the doc said she was nearsighted and would need glasses. I was not convinced. We decided to hold off. Guess what? She never complained again. I know it's not exactly your situation but I do think that parental instincts are important. Maybe yours are wrong but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were right! How do they even do vision screenings on 2 year olds?
I think you are doing the right thing 100%. Get another docs opinion and go from that point. Trust your mama instincts!!
(((HUGS))) Do NOT blame yourself or your genetics! There is nothing you could have done to ensure JT would have perfect vision.
I also think your doing the right thing by getting a 2nd opinion.
Keep us updated, ok?
I think it's good you are getting a 2nd opinion.
Our daughter got glasses in the 3rd grade - I was so embarrassed, her teacher had to tell me she needed them and then after she got them she was like "wow, the trees have so many individual leaves on them"... yikes, how long was she blind as a bat? LOL Anyway, having glasses hasn't been too bad and this summer I'm taking her for contacts! (she's going into 6th grade)
(((Hugs))) You know our kids get such a mix of genetic material. It's not your fault! Hey if you still feel like it is blame your ancestors instead ;)
Seriously, I'm glad to hear you are getting a second opinion. I think it is very important. I remember my brother had glasses very young for one reason or another and his eyes ended up correcting themselves and he has perfect vision.
(((((HUGS))))) I am so sorry hun, I'm hoping the first dr was a quack but if not the second one already sounds like he has better bedside manner.
I agree that a second opinion is a GREAT idea. Let us know!
Nina (((HUGS))) man I feel your living my life with Olivia, she had tubes (still does) and at age 7 I was told her one eye she was basically legally blind we did the eyeglasses and also patched her good eye and forced the week one to work and you know she went from a 20/300 to a 20/50 a huge improvement but she will probably stay at this and can eventually look into contacts or laser surgery. I say for peace of mind get a second opinion and I know how you feel I was in denial and wanted him to be wrong. I blamed myself for not knowing but she never complained she was a great reader and does well at school. As for seeing up close there vision is great up close but not for far away. Im the same with distances I can see very well up close but my distances are blurred. HTH and email me anytime if you have questions. I have been in your shoes and can totally relate. (((HUGS))) and hopefully its not as bad and can be corrected he is still very young!!! Keep us posted!
(((hugs))) Nina. Its amazing what kids can compensate for. Its very very hard to know when a child is having vision problems.
I hope you make out better with the second doctor. Glad to hear you're getting a second opinion.
I was directed to your blog by someone who heard that I was interested in adopting from Vietnam, and lo and behold I find this post!
My son is now six and has had glasses since he was two, due to severe farsightedness and amblyopia (lazy eye). There is nobody in our family who had this condition, not a cousin, uncle or grandmother. My husband and I have close to perfect eyesight. Yet they tell me it is genetic.
The main thing I have to say is that I was horrified at the time. Scared, traumatized. Four years later I can tell you that this has not been a big deal at all. My guess is that if your son truly needs glasses (and a second opinion is always a good idea) he will wear them if they help him see. My son's condition sounds worse than yours (he was going cross-eyed on occasion to focus), but it was amazing how well he could see small things on the page without glasses. His poor eyes just had to work so hard to see. I have talked to many adults that had no sign of farsightedness as children, an consequently weren't treated and now have much worse vision because it was not discovered. Believe me, if it turns out that he is as farsighted as the doc says, you are very lucky to discover it now, as it will help improve his vision later.
When my husband put glasses on my son for the first time, it blew my son's mind. You have to remember he didn't know what is was like to see well, so he was functioning just fine at 20/100 (or whatever he was.)
I have a lot more to say - like good glasses are a good investment - the other kids think my son's glasses are cool and sometimes want to get glasses to be like him. But I could go on and on and bore you to death. But if you have any questions about this at all, please feel free to email me, I know way more about it than I ever thought I would.
I just got back from the opthalmalogist this afternoon to find out that my 4-year-old daughter is very farsighted. We had no idea. Like you, I'm devastated and wondering what I could have done to help her. After reading your post and comments, I'm definitely going for a second opinion. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment
<< Home