Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Sunday, July 09, 2006

My SIL....Bridezilla!

Sit back, relax, grab something to drink....this is going to be long...but I need to get it out before her Bridal Shower today or I might go insane....

Everytime we get together with my SIL, she has a million questions for me about wedding planning. I answer them as best I can and when she disagrees, she askes me the same question over and over again hoping I give her the answer she wants. Nope...she doesn't know me well...that ain't gonna happen! LOL!

She is stressed since the wedding is less than two months away. She is stressed since she decided to get married 9 months after she got engaged (and no...it isn't a shot gun wedding). I actually thought my SIL should be a nun since she is such a good Catholic. She is stressed since she and her fiance, who have dated more than 5 years, have never talked about finances and who is living where and who is selling which condo/building. There are a million reasons why she shouldn't get married to this guy...even my MIL has made the comment that they would make better companions vs. spouces. That says a lot to me. But I digress....they ARE getting married Sept. 2 - Labor Day weekend. It is the same weekend T and I got married four years ago (thanks for ruining our anniversary M!).

I am not in the wedding party (thank god), but have been asked to read at the wedding. OK. I can deal with that. T is not in the wedding party either and will be also be reading. JT isn't in the wedding and quite frankly, I am pretty happy about it. The last thing I need is for my 2 1/2 year old NOT to walk down the aisle as the ring bearer and hearing about it for years from M (my SIL).

My IL's, SIL, and maid of honor (her sister) were at my house for dinner last night. The discussion of what everyone will be wearing not in the wedding party came up. You see, my SIL picked bridesmaid dresses that are...how do I say....GOLD with a green accent "belt" around the waist. The color is a pain in the royal ass to try to match to when you look awful in green and the green is a funny green. M's wedding dress is off-white...well, not off-white and not Ivory either. It is somewhere in between. My MIL is struggling with a dress since she refuses to wear black. I am going to wear black. Easy enough for me. But I am being told a color in the brown family would look best. ICK! Brown???

The thought behind coordinating what the family is wearing is so the pictures look decent. So the discussion continues about what JT will wear.

Let me give some background. The bridesmaid dresses will be worn above the knee. M's wedding dress is knee length. The invitation wording and design is considered informal. Everything about this wedding screams informal to me.

My son is just about 2 1/2. I spoke with my MIL about what to put JT in for the wedding and she seems to think what I have for him will work fine. I just wanted to check the color of the outfit with M. BIG MISTAKE! The outfit consists of a pair of beige pants (chinos or khaki's as some call them), a teal blue t-shirt which will be worn under a long sleeve button down shirt with a grid like pattern of brown, yellow, and teal on it. We have a pair of brown close toed sandals for him (and since they are close toed, they look more like brown shoes).

I show this outfit to M last night. Her first comment is that seems king of casual...my MIL says she thinks the outfit is fine and the question is just about the color. Chalk one up for the MIL! YAY!

OK. He is 2 1/2. I say to M, "What would you like him to wear?" She replies with a white shirt, tie, dark slacks and shoes. My mouth hits the floor. I explain to her that this outfit she wants him to wear will cost us a bundle....not something we have these days since the adoption will run about $25,000 before we are done.

White shirt - $20 (if I can find it and not including alterations for a long sleeve shirt I can't roll).
Pants - $20 (again, alterations not included)
Clip on tie that will last 5 seconds $10
Dark Shoes - $40 since JT has XXW feet and I can only get him shoes at Stride Rite

A tux disucssion came up next because for these prices, a tux for JT may be cheaper. OK. I'll put him in a tux, but don't be surprised if the tux shoes don't fit him and he ends up in sneakers after the pictures. Also, don't be surprised if his shirt comes un-tucked and it stays that way. This leads to yet another heated discussion about how to keep his shirt tucked in and "proper" shoes.

You know...when I got married, my just barely turned 5 nephew wore a tux since he was the ring bearer. As soon as the ceremony was over, the jacket came off, the sneakers went on, the shirt got untucked and unbuttoned....and we have the cutest pictures of him dressed like that.

I would almost say I am being really bitchy about this and shouldn't be. Even my DH thinks M is being unreasonable about all of this. Thank goodness his attire wasn't mentioned. I plan to put T in his dark suit, a white shirt, and a tie that won't match anything so her pictures look awful! LOL! The devilish side in me strikes back!

OK. Enough ranting about the clothes. We'll see what happens. The longer she takes in deciding about what JT should wear, the less time I have to find it and he may just end up in the cute outfit I have for him anyway!

I only have one more rant for now....the Briday Shower today.....

The shower is at 1PM. I don't want to get into details as to how many times plans have changed for who is driving who to the shower. I am going alone to the shower, but have been given the task of getting all the crap she gets BACK to her house since both my MIL and my SIL's cars are full with people and I am lucky to own a minivan. (And why didn't you arrange for your finace or father to bring their trucks to haul the crap like I did when I had my shower?) So I get to drive almost 1 hour out of my way to go to my SIL's place to unload the stuff and than drive about an hour back to my house. I will be lucky to get home by 8PM to see JT to bed. I won't even discuss that gas prices are $3.19 around here and I will end up driving about 80 miles out of my way.

I will go on record now....shower starts at 1PM. If we are lucky, it will be done by 5PM. Then we load the car, drive to my SIL's or MIL's...that takes at least 45 minutes. We arrive around 6PM. Now we unload the car. I get back in the car and drive about 45 minutes to get home. Arrival time....7:30PM at best.

I'll post later will actual times.

I needed to get this out of my system so I behave at the shower. Here's hoping it worked.

4 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I'm sure you will be MORE than thrilled when this thing is over!

Sunday, July 09, 2006 5:51:00 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

If it were me in the clothing discussion, I think would have told her to take a long walk off a short bridge or fork over the cash for a new outfit or the tux.

Hope your day wasn't too bad. ((hug))

Sunday, July 09, 2006 6:19:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

Family weddings can be SO stressful. I never (ever!) want to be a bridesmaid again. You have my condolences on dealing with your SIL - she sounds like a real prize. LOL

Sunday, July 09, 2006 9:02:00 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Did I read correctly? the brides dress is knee length?

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 5:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home