Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Boobs, Immigration, and Anniversaries

My boob is still hurting a lot. I swear the cyst aspiration didn't do a bit of good. I have been trying to call the surgeon my OBGYN told me to call - their office is closed. Office hours are from 8AM-12PM Monday through Friday. It is 9:38AM and their message says the office is closed. I have been trying to call them since 8:16AM. So frustrating...

The USCIS website was updated again as of Aug. 28. Instead of going backwards 10 days with a May 14 date, we have advanced 1 day from the last update on July 17 to May 25. I called the Orphan Unit number and it was confirmed they are moving and not taking phone calls. they also have a new number. The question is do I call on Thursday or wait until next Tuesday?

Since there isn't much to tell, I will answer the following question:

Deep Question: Could you see the twin towers from your home in NJ (when you lived there) and what was it like for you on 9/11?

I could not see the twin towers from my home in NJ. However, I passed by them and saw them everyday on my way to work as I drove on the NJ Turnpike to Route 3 in East Rutherford, NJ.

The towers were built in 1972-1974. They were there my whole life. I didn't know the NYC skyline without them. Even though I moved from NJ in 1995, I remember 9/11 so very clearly.

I remember I was at work when the first tower got hit. I remember hearing on the radio that a plane was still in the air and heading for Chicago (it turned out to be the place that was taken down by the passengers). I remember being told to leave work and get out of Chicago as fast as possible.

I remember not being able to get a hold of my mom.

While I don't want to go into grave detail, I remember calling my sister who worked at the GW Bridge. I was concerned the bridge was a target and wanted to make sure she was ok. I called many friends and family that day - those in NJ and those in NYC. I got a hold of some and not others.

I watched the TV all day to see how the events unfolded. And the answer to the next question is yes, I knew and lost some friends of mine that day who worked in the towers.

The shock really hit me when I went back home and the towers were no longer there. I remember the ride home from the airport...on the NJ Turnpike...and there was nothing..the skyline was totally different. It didn't seem "right". To this day, it doesn't seem "right". I know there is much debate as to what kind of structure, if any, to build where the towers once stood. I know I would love to see the skyline the way I remember it.

2 Comments:

Blogger JPAKAJR said...

I remember the day like yesterday. We left work early as well. The F-16's were the only planes in our sky once they grounded the planes. They were turning around above my house to make the loop back to Philly.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 6:42:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

I'm sorry for the loss of your friends on 9/11 ... you really felt it personally, even though you weren't in NYC that day. Out here on the West Coast it was so unreal, I just stared at the TV and cried. My husband is from NJ though and he says something everytime he sees a NY skyline without the twin towers in it. It's hard to remember, but I think it's important we never forget.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home