Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Monday, August 07, 2006

The BZ Saga Continues.....or does it?

What a weekend. Busy busy again which is nice to pass the time, but leaves me very tired for work on Monday.

Let me continue where I left off on Saturday. Before I do, let me back up to Friday afternoon when I got the mail and found a package sent to us by my MIL. It was a 4-piece outfit for JT to wear to the wedding. Enclosed was a note that the outfit was a gift from G'ma and G'Pa and it would be a-ok for JT to wear his dark brown sandals with it. Hmmm....ok....brown shoes with black pants, but ok...at least there was some reasonability to it. I found out later that my MIL even called Tux stores to see if we could rent shoes for JT, but even they said they didn't carry XW shoes. I think this is finally when she gave up and believed me.

OK. Back to Saturday.

After we got home from dress shopping, JT passed out for a nap. I called my MIL to thank her for sending the outfit and that I would try it on JT when he got up from his nap. It was a nice and reasonable conversation. Even she agreed he only needed to be in the outfit for a few hours (just for pictures) and then we could put him in something cooler and more comfortable. I explain to her we will be heading in her direction because we wanted to go to the library and get JT's reading club folder stamped. My MIL then told me my FIL (he is a mechanic for UAL) was on a plane heading to Alaska to pick up AF troops and then heading to Louisiana and then back to Chicago and wouldn't be home until the wee hours of the morning. I ask my MIL if she would like to go out to dinner with T, JT, and me. She agrees.

After dinner, we head back to my MIL's house to get JT ready for bed before bringing him home. BZ calls. BZ asks if she can come over to our house on Sunday to make her wedding program since neither she nor my MIL/FIL have Microsoft Publisher on their computer. OK. I'll play nicely....

Sunday - BZ calls and tells us she will be 1 hour late (no shocker here; she is late to everything!) She comes over and sees JT's wedding outfit my MIL sent hanging on our front closet door. She says.....oh....JT's outfit. I say, well, we'll see. It doesn't quite fit him right. The pants fir, but are about 5" too long. No biggie. Someone can hem them. The shirt fits perfectly in the arm length, but there are a couple of buttons too tight on the tummy. No biggie...the vest covers that up. Here is the real problem....I can't get the neck buttoned. That means he can wear the outfit, but no tie. Personally, I think that is fine. BZ makes a comment.....ooooooohhhh....and then tries to make suggestions on how to fix it and asks what shoes we will put him in. I say to her in a not so nice way...I will not discuss JT's outfit you. I am talking to mom about it.

OK. She goes to work on her program and I go about my business. BZ comes downstairs after a while and tries to offer more suggestions and asks about the shoes again. I tell her and show her the shoes I bought that morning in a good faith attempt to try to appease everyone even though the shoes were $54 at Stride Rite and I am not that fond of them. At least I can use them for school during the fall so he won't wear them just once.

BZ finally realizes how pissed I am about this whole thing. She made the comment that she was not insisting on shoes or something like that. I say to her, but you dictated his outfit. Silence. I should also mention T was right there with me and heard everything. He even made a snippy comment to BZ (his sister). A few moments pass.

BZ finally says...put him in whatever you want. I don't want anyone to be angry or resentful about it. More silence. I don't say a word. T speaks up and says thank you BZ.

The end to the story...I know this entry is getting long. After telling my MIL how the outfit fits JT, we decide she will exchange for the bigger size and see how it fits. If we can, she will alter the pants and possibly sleeves on the bigger size as long as the short closes around his neck comfortable. If it is too big, can't be altered, or not worth it, we will probably see if the neck on the smaller one can be rigged open enough for his neck and wear the tie. If THAT doesn't work, he will wear the smaller one without the tie.

We haven't decided on the shoes yet, but the consensus is sneakers or his closed toe brown sandals with black socks underneath. We will probably return the ugly brown shoes I got yesterday.

The moral of the story - ask me nicely and I will beed over backwards for you as long as you remain reasonable in your request. If you are not reasonable, then I am stubborn and won't budge an inch and become unreasonable back.

So....BZ came to her senses (for now), my MIL is being reasonable again and not just "siding" with BZ, my husband took "my side" and stood ground WITH me, and hopefully, this outfit thing will work out painlessly (I doubt it, but will try).

It is a cute outfit...for $20 that I didn't have to spend.

4 Comments:

Blogger JPAKAJR said...

WOW I hope she has seen the light......LOL

Monday, August 07, 2006 2:00:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

Isn't family wedding tension fun? (not!) I think you are handling things rather well. And I'm glad your husband backed you up. That really helps.

Monday, August 07, 2006 3:19:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Sorry for all the drama over JT's outfit. Hopefully BZ will back off.

BTW, love the dress! Congrats on the find. I'm sure you'll look beautiful in it.

Monday, August 07, 2006 3:52:00 PM  
Blogger LawMommy said...

I honestly cannot believe she is making such a big deal about the outfit of your son. He isn't even in the wedding, is he? (Correct me if I am wrong.) Family weddings are so much fun, aren't they?

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 11:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home