Things that keep your mind off waiting for the I-171H
I have nothing bad to say about the Chicago USCIS office. Every time I have called, they have returned my call. Sure, it is taking what seems like forever to get my I-171H, but at least I can get in touch with the orphan officer. Since I don't want the USCIS to start hating me for being a pest, I call once per month to check on the status of our application. The Chicago USCIS office moved recently and their phone number changed. It is now (312) 239-5673 for those who need it. You can still only call Tuesday and Thursday between 7:30AM-1PM (I think) and leave a message with your name and phone number. You WILL get a call back in the same day!
I haven't had to think about our USCIS application all that much this week. I have been attending a conference for work since Wednesday. It is nice to be out of the office even though I find myself more tired at the end of the day. I am learning tons and hope to bring this back to my company and utilize! Boy do I sound chipper about a conference! LOL!
Lefty has been keeping me busy also. I first want to thank EVERYONE for their support and kind words. It means a lot to me. I did (well, actually T) got in touch with the surgeon. I have no phone access during the conference so T was calling the office and got an appt for me yesterday morning at the crack of dawn. I saw a different surgeon in the same practice. We will call him Dr. Not as Hottie (Dr. NAH). He looked, he felt, he saw. The appt. lasted about 1 1/2 hours believe it or not between talking with me and calling my OBGYN to confirm, etc. The bottom line....I am scheduled for surgery to remove both the original mass (which they still think is benign) and this abscess/cyst thingy on Wednesday, Sept. 20. This is now some concern that the abscess/cyst has a possibility of being cancer. I could go into all the reasons Dr. NAH told me why the possibility of cancer exists, but the main one is that the growth of the abscess/cyst has been very quick and doesn't feel like just fluid. Also, it is very rare to get these things unless you are nursing. There you have it...the possibility of cancer. I am not freaking out too much. In my heart (or I am in denial) I don't think it is cancer.
Dr. Hottie and Dr. NAH will remove both "masses" and have them tested. If no cancer is found, we are done and hope this never happens again. If a local form of cancer is found, I will have "breast conservation" surgery to remove more breast tissue, possibly some areola, and nipple area. They can reconstruct at the same time using fat from my stomach. Lord knows there is enough of it! LOL! Then I would have radiation.
If cancer is found and it is not a local form of it, I will have a mastectomy followed by radiation and chemo. Then I would be put on Tomaxafin (sp) for 5 years.
I asked about IBC again because I have about 6 of the 10 symptoms listed for it (stupid internet full of information - LOL). Dr. NAH said there is a very slim chance it is IBC. I am missing the biggest and most classic symptom - orange tinged skin. I won't even discuss what he told me treatment was for it because it is awful and the prognosis is just not good.
I am holding onto the fact I am in a low risk group for cancer based on my age, family history, and the fact I have had a child - all these things put me in the lowest risk group.
There you have it. My mind has very much been elsewhere this week. I am happy I haven't been running to the mailbox or wondering when the USCIS will send our I-171H. I can pretty much guess I won't be thinking about it for another week, too! And hey....maybe by then, I will have it!
Not the greatest way to distract the mind, but a distraction nonetheless.

11 Comments:
(((hugs))) Nina. You will continue to be in my prayers and thoughts!
(((((((WARM SQUISY HUGS)))))
Oh Nina. I am so sorry I was not around yesterday. Many many hugs to you and LOTS of prayers as well. ((HUGS))
What is IBC?
Did you nurse your first child? Maybe your milk ducts never really dried up and caused this cyst to form? (Okay, yeah, um...totally not a doctor, just a lawyer whose hoping for the best for you...) I am praying for a positive outcome.
Gretchen
((hugs)) Nina Im praying this works out in the easiest and best way. I trust your instincts and Im hoping this is just an annoying and painful but soon to be forgotten harmless cyst.
((((Nina)))) I'm thinking the most positive thoughts for you that you get a clean bill of health on this issue with lefty. I know it's scary, my mom went through it about 10 years ago. Her outcome was good and I'm praying for the same for you.
Nina-
((((((((((HUGS)))))))))) if you need anything, please let me know! I'm an interstate drive away!
First, I wanted to say thanks for the information on contacting USCIS.
I have only experienced the fear of cancer and waiting for a result from a loved one, my mom.
My Aunt, who was a nurse, saw a mole on my mom's leg. At the time, we belonged to an HMO but they were difficult at best to have any surgery performed and she did not desire to fight with them. She went to her previous doctor. He thought it looked fine but suggested having it removed. It turned out to be a melanoma, a second far more invasive surgery followed.
The surgery was not nearly as painful as the wait. I can remember feeling angry at how unfair it was that my mom had a melanoma. Fear at what I would do without her, I was not very old at the time. I cannot begin to imagine the feelings and emotions I would experience if it were me that had the possibility for cancer. Fortunately, the second surgery successfully removed all the cancer. In fact, the doctor did not even follow up with Chemo.
I hope and I will pray that everything will be okay for you as it was for my mom.
more (((hugs))). I wish you all the best and will send positive thoughts and prayers your way that everything turns out well.
Nina, I'm thinking about you and hoping for only the best news.
Hi Nina:
I feel your pain! We are waiting for our I 171H from the Chicago office, too! Our filing date is May 8th, homestudy logged in May 15th, and fingerprints May 25th. Reading others information it seems maybe there is defintely a problem with ours. I have not been successful in contacting them via telephone because the voicemail says to leave a message "only in a emergency if you are trapped overseas or something about a special needs child...all other matters must email". Did you still leave a message? Thanks, Melissa mdemps02@yahoo.com
Post a Comment
<< Home