Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Monday, October 30, 2006

Seriously Pondering....

So we are on the waiting list as of last Thursday. My agency won't give me a specific number but I was told there are approximately 100 families on the list.

I was also told the wait for a referral is around 8 months for a boy and 18-24 months for a girl. When we started this process back at the end of April, we were told the wait for a referral of a boy was 2-4 months. I am in shock over this.

I have actually called another reputable agency to see what is involved in switching agencies. I plan to call another one today. It is tough to decide something like this because honestly, I love our agency, but can't believe how long the wait has gotten. When you see only 4-5 referrals a month, it is hard to believe we will even get our referral in 8 months.

My question is for those that switched agencies....how long did it take to "re-do" the paperwork you needed to re-do? I am trying to evaluate if it will be worth switching. My biggest concern is getting the I-171H re-done and having the home study updated...and and all input is welcome.

So many ups and downs in this process. I can say, however, I know we will be adding to our family no matter what and everything worth doing is worth the wait....even if it is a much longer one than we thought.

8 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

We changed agencies after we found out our number on the list. It was simple. Nothing had to be done to the I171H - I know you fill the agency's information when you send it in, but it is not listed on it anywhere. Nothing had to be done to our homestudy either. We sent it to the new agency, they reviewed it, said it was perfect, and within a few days we switched. It was a stressful situation trying to make the right decision, but I know that we did. 18-24 months was an unacceptable time frame for me. We now have a referral. I know lots and lots of people who switched agencies and have already travelled and are home with their babies that did not ever do an amendment or anything to their I171-h

Monday, October 30, 2006 11:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like you have a lot of decisions to make. I'm glad you've cleared the hurdle of the I-171H and been added to the list of waiting families, but very sorry that the wait time has become so long!

Monday, October 30, 2006 4:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We also had this issue and after a lot of thought and prayer we switched agencies. We went back to the agency that we adopted our 1st daughter thru in 99. We live in a state where the I71's come within 6 to 8 weeks. We didn't have to send for a I 824 but I am told it only would take a few weeks to have that taken care of.
I hope things work out for you. Changing agencies was the best choice for us.

Monday, October 30, 2006 5:07:00 PM  
Blogger R&H said...

I believe all the "good" agencies have a very long wait. To me it makes more sense for you to stay where you are because you are now on the list and will continue to move up! Good luck, I totally understand the wait is getting to all of us...but it WILL HAPPEN, it HAS TO HAPPEN! And when it does it will be the perfect timing for each of us!

Monday, October 30, 2006 7:30:00 PM  
Blogger Stepping On Legos said...

Nina - when we switched, it took literally no time at all. In fact our new agency required fewer docs than the old one so we wasted more time with the first than the second! It is really very easy to switch as long as your dossier is still here in the US. It is a tough decision but there are other good agencies who work in other provinces with shorter lists. you have to follow your heart.

Monday, October 30, 2006 7:40:00 PM  
Blogger Dianna said...

I also believe that a fast referral does not necessarily equal an ethical agency. However, our agency is very conservative and has, as far as I know, a wonderful reputation and are still quoting 1-3 months for a boy referral. It definitely doesn't to do some more research. Good luck!

Monday, October 30, 2006 8:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on finding an agency with quicker turnaround time. I hope that you have your new little munchkin in your arms sooner than later. . . soon I hope, so my magical knitting fingers can whip up something to bring the newest munchkin home in!!!

Cathy

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Kelly said...

oh crap. 8 months? they told us 5 or 6 months. This is depressing. for you. and for us. sigh. If you do decide to switch, I know you will take the time to choose an ethical and supportive agency. If you decide to stick it out (I can't help but think that with others switching from this agency to one with a shorter wait it has to do something to shorten the wait list with your current agency) We will be waiting right along with you....and you will at least be assured that you will get a referral before we do- we haven't even applied for the 171H yet.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006 12:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home