It really hit me yesterday
I picked up JT from school yesterday (daycare) and he was happily playing. He ran over to me and gave me a great big hug, said, Mommy!, and went back to playing. I watched. The kids were dancing to songs that told you how to move (like stomp your feet, clap your hands). All the kids around JT's age were following along to the song and the teachers. JT was doing his own thing and his movements were clumsy. The kids were talking/yelling with excitement and JT said nothing.
As I watched, it took everything I had not to burst into tears. I am crying as I type this because it became so very clear to me yesterday how far behind he is from his peer group. I don't notice it much when he is home because there aren't other children around to compare to. But it was staring me in the face yesterday.
I would give anything if I could get inside his head to figure out what is going on so we can get him the help he needs.

2 Comments:
I'm so sorry Nina. This is so hard for a Mom. I'm sure this is way harder for you than for him. ((((hugs))))
Nina, I am so proud of you for fighting for his rights and for caring so much about his education. I know it must have been devasting to see him with his peers and recognize that he is at a different level. But he will get there in his own time, and in the grand scheme of things, not being on target is not affecting his ability to enjoy playing with the other kids. The other kids may be better right now at language and are more cordinated physically, but none of them can make your heart burst with love like Gabe did when he ran up to you and gave you a hug.
I am not niave about language processing issues and other developmental delays, as I have worked with many kids his age with those issues, so I am not pretending that its all gonna be ok. But I do believe that with early intervention and patience, most of the kids with issues like Gabe's thrive and make gains and usually "catch up" with their peers. If you ever need a shoulder to cry on or to vent, just email me at: angelsunday@msn.com
Post a Comment
<< Home