Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Saturday, January 27, 2007

More Updates on "Stuff"

Lefty

Well, the surgery has been put off. My insurance changed this year and the Dr's who did my surgery and the hospital where the surgery was done are no longer considered "in-network". I tried to get a "network exception" from the insurance company to no avail. Since my issue is the result of an infection, the insurance thinks any surgeon can do it. I am tired of fighting so I am going to get another name from my Dr so I can have some kind of follow up and schedule surgery sometime in the future. Lefty still has an open wound and I continue to shoce the packing material in it daily. It doesn't hurt and at this point is more of a pain in the ass more than anything (no pun intended).

School District

JT has his school district evaluation yesterday. It lasted 2 1/2 hours. That is a bit much for an almost 3 year old, but he did well. T and I were taken into another room and asked a ton of questions about JT's development. I voiced my concern that we were not present during JT's evaluation. I almost laughed when the school psychologist knocked and poked his head in and asked us, "once JT warms up, does he talk more?" My response was no. I really wanted to tell him....um....no....he doesn't talk more....this is the issue....and it is called a language processing disorder you moron!

The Superintendent did call me a few weeks ago to let me know the private daycare facility will make an exception and allow JT to attend. Sure....let's uproot JT and take him away from everything he knows in terms of his daytime caregivers, put him in a new school at the same time, and expect him to thrive. I found our this private facility leases space from the school district and is located in trailers on the school grounds. I am not impressed nor am I going to be forced to move JT from his current center.

I get to take off work once again to meet with the district to discuss their recommendations and goals for JT. My guess....he qualifies for services and then we will have to fight for transportation. I have a lawyer lined up already. Of course, the meeting is 6 days before JT's 3rd birthday and the day he can start receiving services. It is great the school is cutting things so close...I am sure they are doing it on purpose.

We will deal with it. JT needs this help so we have a fighting chance to get him caught up by Kindergarten. My search for private therapy is still going on. Many don't have evening or weekend appointments. Insurance coverage is going to be tough. But JT is worth the fight and hopefully, we will find a resolution for all of this.

Adoption

No news on the adoption front. No new pictures either. I have asked for new pictures for the past three weeks. I am to call again next week. *sigh* We haven't seen pictures of A since our referral back in November. I am far from impressed at the moment.

That's all I have for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathryn said...

Have you posted a picture of A? My husbamd works as an Early Childhood tacher in Evanston and regularlyrly attends meetings for students who need some kind of intervention. As far as I know unless it's a really severe problem, they keep the child in the same daycare setting. Like you said, you really don't want to uproot a child from everything familiar. There are exceptions and I'm sure it depends also on how large or small the daycare is. I really don't know too much about this; he's the expert on early childhood matters. Thank god, someone will know what they are doing!

Saturday, January 27, 2007 9:24:00 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

You are fighting tough fights on multiple fronts... Lefty, the school and even the adoption wait. That gets tiring after a while, I'm sure. But you are doing very well with all of it. Your son is lucky to have a mom who will fight hard to get what he needs.

Saturday, January 27, 2007 6:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home