Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Thursday, January 04, 2007

Off to a good start.....NOT!

I was (emphasis on the word "was") going to post only positive things in January. I was determined to start the new year off right and on a positive note.

However, things change. Things change because health insurance changes, medical conditions change, and infections just will not go away.

On the bright side, some things do stay the same....like Lefty not being cancer or something more than an infection. Do you see where this is going yet?

I had a follow up with the surgeon today. It wasn't Dr. Hottie. It was another Dr. in the group. Sure the infection is draining, but I am told the incision isn't big enough and this will continue to happen because the breast has about 20 ducts in it and many passageways for the infection to sit in. In some strange way, I had a feeling this was coming so it didn't surprise me.

What surprised me was when the Dr. said he would need to remove almost 1/2 of my breast to get all of the infected tissue out. My areola will now be smaller and not symmetrical with the right side. My nipple may be in a different spot (moved about 1 cm to the center). I asked how it would look when healed and the response was in clothes or standing naked in front of a mirror. Nice response, eh?

So it looks like I will have to have surgery again. Day surgery. Recovery will be a little tougher this time since the surgery will be more involved.

What really stinks? My insurance changed on January 1. This was not my choice. My company changed carriers and I had to change. Ready for this? The Dr. AND the hospital are not in-network providers with the new insurance. I spent all morning on the phone with the insurance company trying to get a transition of benefits which would force the insurance company to cover the surgery as if it was an in-network provider. I got three different answers from three people and NONE of them would give me ANYTHING in writing. Nice.

We are not made of money. This adoption is putting us into a tremendous amount of debt. JT's developmental issues could end up costing us a fortune if we have to go through private therapy because the school district is made up of a bunch of nimrods (so much for moving to a good school district). Honestly, we don't have an extra $5,000 lying around to pay out-of-network out-of-pocket expenses for this surgery. I don't even know if we have money for in-network surgery because we are saving every penny right now FOR the adoption (final in-country fee and travel).

So our 2007 is off to a fan-fucking-tastic start.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

I am so sorry you are going threw all this crap... I just had to pay $4K for my last surgery and it was in network.... Needless to say I have the don't get sick insurance.

I hope things work out how you want them to.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:25:00 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

Oh Nina, how frustrating! Dang that Lefty! I know you must be so tired of pushing people to do their jobs, but don't give up now... your insurance *should* pay for this! I'll be praying for you.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 4:58:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh crap, Nina. I'm so sorry that you're having such problems with Lefty--what does she think she's doing there? Argh. Being in pain and frustrated and having to have major surgery is hard enough--dealing with all of that while also dealing with insurance changes, therapy for your son, and the adoption of your next son are just over the top! This stinks for all of you.

2007 was supposed to be a better year. I hope it turns around quickly!

Thursday, January 04, 2007 5:15:00 PM  
Blogger KelleyO said...

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. Sucks abut Lefty and you stupid insurance. Hang in there!

Thursday, January 04, 2007 6:16:00 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

I am so sorry you have to go through all of this.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 9:24:00 PM  
Blogger saucygoat said...

How horrible! I'm so sorry all this bad stuff keeps piling up. I hope the insurance comes to their senses and pays for this, and hope that things start to look up.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 9:41:00 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

Not the best way to start 2007...hopefully you can get the insurance issue settled.

Thursday, January 04, 2007 10:03:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Oh Nina! I'm so sorry to read this. I really hope you are able to force the insurance company to pay for the surgery.

Friday, January 05, 2007 12:06:00 AM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

I'm sorry you are having such a crappy start to the new year, but before too long you should have a new family member and you'll think thank god, this happened before A came home.

Saturday, January 06, 2007 10:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home