Lefty, Pre-School, and SLEEP!
I decided it was time to visit the Dr about Lefty again. If you recall, my current insurance is no longer considered "in-network" for my Dr so I felt as long as things were status quo, I was ok not going to see the Dr. My appt. went well I suppose. Everything is still status quo. Yes, Lefty is still open and draining, but everything looks as god as it should. My Dr is on the verge of becoming "in-network" so any surgery or procedure he wants/needs to do can wait a bit. We have three options and none of them is good as far as I am concerned.
Option 1 - Paraphrasing the the Dr; "we can fillet" [Lefty] and leave it open to heal from the inside out. This may/should get rid of the infection, but I will need reconstructive surgery later. While I would love a symmetrical and perky Lefty and Righty again, the thought of being disfigured bothers me.
Option 2 - There is some "device" called something like a vacuum sponge that can be put where the infection lies. It gets changed every three days by physical therapy and sucks out the infection. Does this sound as gross to you as it does to me?
Option 3 - Wait a while longer and just see if this thing closes up on its own and does not show up again. Um....it's been 3 months and is still there with no closing of itself in sight.....hello???? Do you really think this will magically heal?
So...we wait until at least my Dr is now "in-network".
Just in case any of you are wondering.....yes, I have gotten a second opinion and have been basically told the same thing. On the bright side, I like the Dr and it certainly doesn't hurt that he is easy on the eyes. LOL!
JT's first week and pre-school went very well. Yesterday, the director of his daycare personally took him to pre-school and she told me he was smiling and saying HI! to everyone. She could tell he was happy to go. What a relief for me! He got a library book out yesterday and brought it home along with a shapes game for us to play with him. He does very well with shapes (not bad for just turning 3) and can identify at least 10 different shapes. He has also been counting to 20 in English AND Spanish.
The bonus to pre-school is the fact that JT has lost his 2 hour nap. We were struggling for the past 2 months to get him to sleep at night before 10-11PM. Well, over the weekend, he didn't nap and was to bed by 5:30PM on Saturday (he passed out in the car on the way to dinner with friends) and slept through until 7AM Sunday). He went to sleep at 8PM on Sunday and 8PM last night. I am finally feeling more human again.
I know I have been on the quiet side lately. I do have some news to share, but it needs to wait until next week. Stay tuned...

3 Comments:
oh that Lefty! I'm sorry it's being such a pain ... I don't like any of those options either. Once the doc is in-network will he give you better options?
So glad to hear pre-school is going well. Your son sounds like a little genius to me!! :)
A rather icky respons on the healing from the inside out issue: A family member had some an infection that had to heal from the inside out. Her's was in her bowels and she didn't realize it until the infection ate through her cavity and stuff little opened up on her abdomen one day....NASTY. Anyhow, a combo of no food and the spongy-sucky thing in one fisure (I think that is what they called it) and then packing gauze in the other along with nearly 2 YEARS and she is back to living the way she was prior to all of this. C R A Z Y! But, it's not like you can do without your bowels and due to a previous surgery she couldn't have the fillet option done.
So, wait it out is viable and probably will do the job, it's just a matter of how long to wait it out.
yucky options. the sponge thing sounds especially icky. and "fillet of boob" does not sound good at all. I will keep sending healing thoughts your way....
hooray for J.T and the pre-school! and hooray for sleep filled nights!
Post a Comment
<< Home