Maybe I am Missing Something
Can someone tell me how it is possible to have a G&R ceremony on Thursday and return home on the weekend? I was under the impression that it took about a week after the G&R to obtain a passport for the child. Then you have to visit the SOS Clinic as well as have an interview with the US Consulate in Hanoi before returning home.
I guess having plenty of money can speed up the adoption process in Vietnam? And didn't Angelina "flame" Madonna for doing something similar? I just don't get it.
I was shocked when I read the following on www.cnn.com:
The entire article can be found HERE.The actress was expected to attend an adoption ceremony with Vietnamese
officials in Ho Chi Minh City on Thursday morning, according to adoption
officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized
to talk about the matter.
If all goes according to plan, Jolie could bring
the child home by the weekend, officials said.

5 Comments:
I agree, and I'm not sure what's going on. I'm sure money has a lot to do with it. I just wish that she would do the responsible thing and go through all of the proper channels, like the rest of us peons have to do. Because when you see what's happening, it's easy to understand how someone can say "Just adopt!" Looks easy as can be, doesn't it?
It is *possible* (or at least was when we were there in November) - if they give you the child's passport right after the G/R. One Holt family had that happen (and we could've but one stubborn official waited 10 days to sign - grr)... but that family filed their 1600 in the US so they only had to do the 2nd interview in Hanoi... I wonder if Angelina did that too? Because I'm wondering how she fits in two embassy appointments in 2 days?
Whatever the case, clearly money and lots of lackeys can make things go much faster.
You and I are wondering the same things!
Gretchen
I was just talking to a friend of mine who is adopting from China (it's been an agonizingly slow process for them - they expect to get their little girl a year from now and they've been in the process for close to two years already) and she said that her understanding is that things work very differently in Vietnam, and so much of the speed of your process hinges on the agency you're working with. She said it's not uncommon for adoptions to be pushed through in a matter of months, no matter who you are or how much money you have. It's the relationship the agency has with the authorities in Vietnam, according to my friend.
I don't know, of course, but I suppose this could be true. And certainly A & B have the resources and connections to find such an agency partly because of who they are and partly because she's already done this twice before.
I hope the speed has nothing to do with her money or her fame. There are so many people so desperate to bring their beautiful children home, and it would break my heart to think that anyone could or would screw around with the system to their own advantage.
This is an older rumor. The newer articles cite her as leaving sometime next week. I looked into it, too, becuase I was very concerned. I guess it is possible but ridiculously unlikely. Apparently they are already in Hanoi? So I guess they must have already received their passport and done their first interview unless they plan to do both interviews in Hanoi (that would be strange though).
Post a Comment
<< Home