Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Big News

I think I have written this blog entry in my head over 50 times and re-written it on my computer at least 10.

There is no easy way for me to say what I need to say. If I were you, I would get a cup of coffee or the beverage of your choice, sit down, relax, and enjoy the ride I am about to take you on.

Here goes.

I found out I am pregnant.

Are you shocked?

I know I was. I know T was as well.

I started this blog back in August of 2005. I was about to embark on my very first IVF cycle. T and I had been trying to have our second child for about one and half years at that point. We had already been through one natural Clomid cycle, one Clomid cycle with IUI when it was discovered I had “hostile” cervical mucus (you remember that Friends episode?), and three injectible cycles with IUI. The specialist told us our best chance for having another child was with IVF.

That IVF cycle got canceled because my body just wouldn’t produce eggs. We tried our second IVF cycle a month or so later and on that cycle with a different medication routine, I produced a whopping one egg. We got canceled from IVF again and got switched to IUI. I sought out a second opinion from another specialist and was told it certainly seems like I was going through pre-mature ovarian failure. We made a final ditch effort with IVF and at least this time, I had four eggs! Unfortunately, they could only retrieve one egg. It did fertilize and was transferred back. I didn’t get pg.

I had two specialists and one OBGYN tell me the chances of T and I getting pg was slim to none – and that was with the help of medications and medical advances.

We decided to pursue adoption because we wanted to grow our family. We wanted JT to be able to share what T and I had growing up with siblings. We wanted more children. So we began our adoption journey.

Everyone has things going on in their lives. This year has seemed especially rough in terms of ups and downs for us. Adoption has its rollercoaster moments in and of itself. While we breezed through our home study, USCIS took over three months to get us our I-171H. Our first agency had an explosion of families wanting to adopt and their waiting list quadrupled in 3 months! We switched to another agency and got our referral within weeks since they didn’t have any parents “paper ready”.

All during this time, we have also been dealing with JT’s developmental issues and the transition to the school district. JT is transitioning well and we can only hope he eventually catches up to his peers. If he doesn’t, we will be sure to give him every opportunity to develop to his fullest potential. We are keeping him in private therapy which, unfortunately, is not covered by insurance.

Then there is good ‘ol Lefty. What a pain in the ass Lefty has been (no pun intended). It started out with a scare and ended up being an infection that won’t go away. I am still dealing with it although it is a little bit on hold because there is nothing that can be done at this time. We have to wait for surgery or this wound vac thing. My surgeon is currently not on my insurance and is waiting to be accepted as in-network as I type. Both my surgeon and OBGYN have to discuss what is best for the little bean and me.

That about sums up the year pretty well.

Believe me when I say this has been a very difficult month or two or three. T and I have been doing a lot of talking and thinking.

We notified both our placement agency and home study agency that we are pg as required in our contracts. Our placement agency was going to allow us to continue with the adoption. I am not necessarily comfortable with the conversation I had with the placement agency because I am not quite sure everything is on the up and up, but it doesn’t matter. Our home study agency stopped our adoption.

To make a very long story short, each agency has rules that must be followed. In addition, there are rules that must be followed in our state and I guess our Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS) dictates many of those rules. All of this has to do with “major life events” and we have too many in our family in too short of a time period.

Our hearts are broken. We have been mourning the loss of A and celebrating this life growing inside of me. Before finding out what the agencies would make us do, T and I did a lot of thinking anyway.

We want what is best for everyone – especially the children. It certainly isn’t A’s fault I got pg. If we had our choice and finances and time, we wouldn’t even bat an eye at completing the adoption. Unfortunately, we DO have things to consider like finances and time. I worried how JT would react to two children….two infants coming into our home within 6 months of each other. Would JT fall further behind and regress? Would two new infants help his developmental delays? Would A need Early Intervention? Will this child inside of me have the same issues as JT? How would we find the time to work with JT with two infants in the house? Could we afford extra money to continue with JT’s therapy, pay off the adoption debt, pay for the care of three children, and all the other stuff that goes along with it? While we can’t predict exactly what would happen, we definitely talked at length about it all and even went over the finances a few more times. We spoke with JT’s therapists to see if they could shed some light on the situation.

We were ready to proceed with the adoption.

As it turns out, it wasn’t our decision. The home study agency made the decision for us. Maybe that is better. Maybe it isn’t. We were reassured by my placement agency that they would find a home for him. I have since found out that they have found a home for him. The family is wonderful and we are fortunate enough to be in contact with them. It is so kind of A’s new family and I will be eternally grateful. I can’t talk about it much because it is not my place to talk about. I am just relieved he will be with his new family soon. It is tough. A already felt like a member of the family and now he won’t be. We have truly lost our child. This has definitely put a bit of a damper on the full effect of the joy we have in being pg.

I sometimes feel guilty I am pregnant. It may sound ridiculous, but it is true. Maybe it was irresponsible of us not to use birth control. But when you have three different doctors tell you your chances are slim to none of getting pg with medical help, then why go on birth control? I was taken off of the pill after my 3rd IVF attempt because it was raising my blood pressure. I always have a reaction to condoms. My mom almost died of pelvic inflammatory disease when I was a kid because of an IUD.

At the same time, T said we’ve won the lottery. After being told by all of the “experts” that adoption was really our only option, it’s thrilling to actually be pregnant again.

Anyway, I think this entry is long enough. I am due at the end of September. While our adoption journey has been put on hold for a long while, I will have a pregnancy journey for you. And hey….I am always good for a good roller coaster story, right?

Never fear, this blog will continue. However, it is going to take a different turn. I won’t be able to blog about our impending travel to Vietnam just yet. Instead, you may get an eyeful of the latest OBGYN appointment and ultrasound (I get 5 more because I am considered old). Of course, there will always be JT stories and more Lefty updates until the darn thing goes away. I am also still reading all the Vietnam adoption blogs I have time for and go from one to the next in hopes for a good coming home story or the latest news a blogger wants to share.

Thanks again for taking the time to read. While I know some of you may get off of this rollercoaster I call my life, I hope others still find some humor and inspiration in what I put down here.

18 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

(((hugs))) and Congratulations.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:21:00 AM  
Blogger nault's nook said...

((HUGE HUGS)) I know this year hasn't been easy for you as you have had many things to deal with. I can only imagine how hard the adoption discussions must have been. I am happy to hear that A is going to a good family.
Congrats on your pg and I look forward to many pg and JT updates :)
((HUGS)) on a rollercoater year...

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:06:00 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Nina - I am so sorry you can not bring A into your life as you hoped but ecstatic for you that you do get to expierience pregnancy one more time. ((HUGS)) for all the difficulties you have been through and a big CONGRATS on your pregnancy.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:21:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, yes, a rollercoaster does seem to describe your life right now! I'm sure the loss of A~ is difficult, but congratulations on the pregnancy.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:30:00 AM  
Blogger KelleyO said...

Wow!!!! Congratulations on your little miricle! I'm so happy for you. I think it must be very comforting to "know" A's new family. Big hugs girl!!!!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:57:00 AM  
Blogger JPAKAJR said...

Nina-What a year it has been! Many Many ((((((((HUGS))))))))) coming your way. Congrats and I know I will continue to stalk your blogs for updates.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that was a lot of news! Congratulations on your pregnancy and I'm sorry that A won't be joining your family.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow Nina - Congratulations, that is wonderful news. And clearly God's will for your family. :-) I am so sorry for you loss of A... even though it was best for everyone, it doesn't make it hurt any less.
I can't wait to read all about your pregnancy journey... and to celebrate when Lefty is finally healed once and for all! :-)

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:08:00 AM  
Blogger LawMommy said...

Wow. WOW. Congratulations! And, at the same time, condolences about baby A...

I will definitely keep reading.
Gretchen

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nina you sure have had alot on your plate and to know you will not be bringing A home is sad but in the same note Im thrilled he has a new home and that you have been in touch with the family wow that is awesome!! I know you and T will be fine and this is truly a miracle that your pregnant so enjoy every moment...and as always give JT a big hug from us!!!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Congrats and I'm so sorry all in one.

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:22:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so thrilled for you but sad about your loss. One thing you need to do is check out of the guilt department. It is ridiculous to even CONSIDER feeling guilty about any of this. Sad at the loss, ok. Guilt? No way, woman. Not allowed.

Congrats again and here's hoping for a bit less rollercoaster for awhile, ok?

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:38:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

OMG! I"m so sorry for your loss of A. I can't really imagine how hard it must have been to watch him be referred to another family.
On the other hand, CONGRATS on the pregnancy!! I'm also due at the end of September! The 23rd actually. Can you believe that we're alsmost half way done?! If you wanna talk pregnancy, I'll be here!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:48:00 PM  
Blogger Doodle - said...

Congratulations Nina!!!
This is God's will. You were meant to "reserve" A for this another family. And as sad as it is for him not to be in your family, you know that he will be loved and cared for by the other family, and that has to be comforting. I hope to hear that A is happy and thriving with his new family. And I can't wait to hear how your "bean" grows.....

Looking forward to things to come....

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:03:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Nina - I know that all of this has been so hard and exciting at the same time, which is not easy. Please know that I am praying for you and you family and hope that you have an easy pregnancy.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 6:51:00 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

first off, congrats. what great news? second, you cant get rid of me that easily. sure, I found your blog while i was searching for vietnam adoption blogs, but I have come to know and care about you as a person, as well as your family. Why in the world would I go anywhere now? Besides, I can't wait to hear all about your pregnancy and the birth of your miracle baby!
How is JT handing the news?

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 1:51:00 PM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Wowzeers!!! This is so amazing. Congrats.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 12:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow

Sunday, April 29, 2007 2:33:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home