Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Monday, May 14, 2007

ALL Mother's Day

I am not fond of Mother's Day. I used to like it but then I lost my mom and it hasn't been the same since. My mom passed on March 9, 2005. My first mother's day without her was tough. My MIL and FIL went to NYC to visit the other two kids that live there. It was hard. T took JT and me to a fancy buffet and we had a nice day, but it was tough.

Last year it must have been so memorable I cannot even remember what we did. I am sure it involved going to my MIL/FIL's for some kind of dinner.

This year I got sick. I am still sick. I have this cold thing going on and it is now in my chest. I spent most of the weekend in bed and have a Dr appt tonight. We went to the ILs for dinner. Dinner was ok. It wasn't anything special and I felt like crap most of the time. My ILs gave me a blow up air mattress you can take camping. Oh the joy of a thoughtful gift. Have I mentioned I really don't like camping? I have gone once and it was just ok. I came back more tired than when I left and I got sick after that trip.....because it was FREEZING at night. Yeah...nice gift. This ranks up there with the kitty cat purse she once got for me. It still sits in my closet unused and I wonder why the hell I haven't thrown it out yet. Don't get me wrong, I have a wonderful MIL. I am lucky we get along and since I don't have my mother anymore, I couldn't think of a better "replacement". she just has absolutely NO CLUE when it comes to gift giving. She really should have saved her money since a gift is not necessary and it's not like I will plan to use the damn thing anytime soon.

Mother's Day hit hard this year. I couldn't help but think of other women.....other MOTHER's....birthmother's, adoptive mother's, prospective adoptive mother's, people who have lost their mother's, mother's who have lost their children, mother's of furbabies (listed in no particular order).

I know two mother's who lost their children. I know many more who have suffered a pregnancy loss. I know a mom who thought she would be bringing her adoptive child home soon only to find out the birthmother decided to parent.

I know and realize every single day how lucky I am. I will never take it for granted. Everyday is Mother's Day for me and just because someone over at Hallmark decided to make a pretty penny by writing some cards for Mother's Day, doesn't mean ALL MOTHER'S shouldn't be thought of.

I wrote a letter to Hallmark this morning. I told them their card selection for Mother's Day was lacking....I was never able to find cards for adoptive mother's, birthmother's, prospective adoptive mother's, or mother's who have lost a child. I think that is wrong. In the future, they may want to consider adding to their line of Mother's Day cards for these very special mother's.

We are ALL Mother's. Let's celebrate ALL of us everyday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home