The Contractor from Hell
I guess there is a first for everything. This is the first time T and I have hired a contractor to do some work on our house. Sure, we replaced the roof, and purchased a big play set, but this is a real contractor....one who will also sub-contract to get work done. It has been a mini-nightmare so far.
Let me back up. I am originally from NJ. I say this because almost every stereotype you have heard about Jersey girls is true (*gasp*). While I don't have bangs spiked straight up in the air and I don't tawk like you think I tawk, my attitude can definitely be described as a Jer-Z attitude. Sure, the mid-west has tamed me and maybe that is why we are having trouble with this contractor. On the whole, I can go off (or as I like to put it) or go Jer-Z on some one's ass like the best of 'em. I can be nice....but if you mess with me and/or try to screw me over....watch out. I can be a mean and vindictive bitch.
Let me get back to the story.....
Our front porch is made of cement. When we bought our house, the porch was cracked a little and you could tell it was sinking a little bit. We had an inspector take a look at it and since it wasn't attached to the foundation, all was ok. Over time, the porch has sunk more and cracked worse. We decided to get it fixed. Enter contractor.
It was determined that our porch was a pre-fab cement job and in order to fix it properly, we needed to pull up/break up the existing porch and pour new concrete (as opposed to jacking up the existing porch). OK. Fine. We also have some wood damage since when the porch sank, it pulled and warped some of the decorative wood and pillars on the house. OK. Let's get that fixed, too.
I put my 50% down so the job could start. We got our building permit from our town and we were off! Last Monday, our porch was torn to shreds by the time I got home from work. The concrete, which was now in 2ft. blocks, was piled neatly on the side of our driveway. The contractor told me they would remove the blocks the next day (last Tuesday).
You could only imagine my surprise when I got home Tuesday to find the blocks still there. I had a message waiting for me from the contractor. Before I continue, let me start by saying I know I was stupid, but what could I do?
The contractor explains to me that part of our 50% payment was used on a previous job to tide him over until the final payment came in from that. The contractor did get his final payment last Monday, but the check bounced. The contractor acknowledged it was his problem and he was wrong to do it, but needed some more money in order to finish our job.
Yes, I was fuming. How could I get mad now? If I blew, then he would do a crappy job finishing our porch or run with the money. Yes, I could get it back, but what a pain in the you know what.....so I ask him how much he needs to keep the job moving. I then write the check.
Wednesday comes and goes. I get a call saying the guy who can remove the concrete is busy. Thursday comes and goes.....same thing. I get a promise that on Friday the concrete blocks will be gone. You guessed it.....still there when I get home from work.
I call the contractor Friday.....FURIOUS! I am told he isn't around. I tell chickie poo on the phone that I need a call back immediately upon his return. We have a serious problem. He calls 2 hours later (after I call once again). He tells me he hurt his foot and was in the hospital ER getting a thorn of sorts removed. He PROMISES to have the concrete gone on Saturday AND get the framing done for the concrete pour.
At 10AM my phone rings. Are you surprised yet? Contractor tells me the guys don't want to work on Saturday. I tell him this is unacceptable and something needs to be done. I express my concerns that I am paying all this money and the job won't get done and won't get done right. The contractor tells me he wants my repeat business and won't jeopardize quality or price for it.
Later on Saturday, T, JT, and I went to a birthday party. When we get home, there is framing wood and re bar on our porch. It isn't framed, but the materials have been dropped off. Do we have progress?
Today is Monday. I was at work and couldn't help but wonder if anything was going to be done today or not. The blocks have been on the driveway for a week. The porch torn up and nothing has been done to it since. I left work to come home to check. I was hoping beyond hope I would find a pile of concrete gone from the driveway and a bunch of guys taking a lunch break under the shade tree after working hard to frame the porch.
You guessed it.....nothing. However, about an hour later, the contractor himself, with his own pick up truck and a friend, loaded the blocks into his truck and made them disappear. I spoke with the contractor and expressed my concerns and displeasure again. He tells me the guys are stuck on another job and as soon as that job is done (he will call me tonight), they will do our porch.
At least the concrete is off the driveway. I can only hope this guy is honest. I am still being sort of nice (I think) for fear of repercussions from him. At least I owe him some more money and WILL be withholding that until the job is done.
I know not all contractors are bad. I just happen to get one that is. Yes, I did my research. Yes, I am aware I can put a lien on his home to get my money back. I know a lot of what I can do. However, that won't give me the new porch and pillars I really want.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home