Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Small Update

We made our first big purchase for the bean yesterday. I know...it only took me getting to 32 weeks to do it. The reality has finally set in and we will have a new addition to the family in about 2 months. We purchased a new stroller! It is from One Step Ahead which has fabulous products for children ages 0-3 and then a sister company Leaps and Bounds for ages 3+.

This isn't any ordinary stroller. This isn't a stroller that costs more than a car payment either. It is a double stroller that actually converts into a Sit n' Stand stroller! I have been wavering because JT really loves to ride in his stroller and I don't think he will be all that fond of going backwards in a Sit n' Stand and there are sometimes where I want both children "contained". Anyway....here is the link....STROLLER. I also had a very nice coupon for 15% off!


I have been going to the OBGYN twice a week for a couple of weeks. There are some concerns and he wants to watch me closer just in case. Tonight's appt. will entail a bio physical profile of the baby (fancy ultrasound), NST (Non Stress Test), and regular appt. I am excited to see the bean again, but getting to the OB for one hour plus long appts. and dealing with a 3 1/2 year old is tough. Thank goodness T is able to come to every appt. and watch JT.


We are having trouble with our daycare. JT is ready to move up to the next room, but the center won't do it until he is potty trained. I have spoken with them and informed them the main reason he isn't trained is due to his language processing disorder and developmental delay. This should count for something and they should allow him to move up. Nope. No go. So we are stuck. All of his friends will move up at the end of August and our 3 1/2 year old will now be in a room with 2 year olds. Great. That won't help his speech because he will lose all of his model talkers. His behavior is starting to get out of hand according to the teacher (who I don't like on many levels). I tell her it is because he is bored and needs to get moved up. What do you want ME to do since it is the center holding him back? She claims to be working with him on training, but taking a child AFTER he goes in his diaper and no more frequently than every two hours is not trying in my book.

That's nothing compared to some of the things I really don't like about her including negative reinforcement (don't do this and don't do that......). JT has started reprimanding himself for things and giving himself time outs when he doesn't need them. I am sure it is because he hears it all day from the room. Their circle time is too long and the teacher reprimands the kids when they won't sit or listen. HELLO????? 45 minutes of reading is too long for a 3 year old. Even the state says circle time should be no more than 30 minutes and each activity should be no longer than 7 minutes. This is just the tip of the iceberg. I could go on about how this teacher doesn't like boys and favors girls. I could go on that I am not the only parent who has complaints. I could also go on about how this teacher is NOT certified when we were told she is. Needless to say I want JT out of this room.

In an effort to try to do something, I enrolled JT in what is called Booty Camp. Go ahead and laugh, but desperate times call for desperate measures. It is a 1/2 day training camp for potty training taught by a nurse who has also raised 6 children and comes highly recommended. We will see. Unfortunately, we couldn't get him into the camp until Sept. 1.

I have also called other daycare centers in case I need to switch centers because of this issue. It is hard since we will soon have two in daycare and a busing to school issue once pre-school resumes for JT. Most have waiting lists and I am just not thrilled with them.

I guess this turned into kind of a long update. Ah well...more for you to read.....

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like JT's daycare isn't a very flexible place, which is really hard to do when caring for toddlers. He definitely needs to stay with his class, given everything that's going on. And staying with that teacher certainly doesn't sound like the best thing for him, given how negative she is. Taking a potty-training toddler to the bathroom once every two hours is far too infrequent. I hope you're able to find a solution for him soon.

I also hope everything's OK with the baby!

Wednesday, August 01, 2007 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger Nicole - Raising Animals said...

Diesel has a teacher like that. She's having a hard time redirecting him but I think it has to do with the negative reinforcement that she's doing. He has pre-school starting in September, but it just doesn't seem soon enough. It's hard to take your kid to a place where you don't feel like they like him.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 5:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that stroller!!

Booty camp sounds great - wish I could have done that with my older two, they were so tough to potty train!

Hope the daycare situation gets worked out soon.

Sunday, August 05, 2007 3:08:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

(((Hugs))) to you and JT! I feel your pain on the daycare issue. I keep thinking to myself, it's only for a few more weeks. I hope you are able to come to a solution that works for you and JT.

As for the stroller, I LOVE it!

Sunday, August 05, 2007 4:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home