Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Saturday, September 01, 2007

Booty Camp

You have got to be kidding, right?


Yes, there is such a thing. It is a potty training boot camp! If you have kept up with this blog, then you know JT is about 3 1/2 and not yet potty trained. He does a a developmental delay and this could explain why he isn't yet or it could just be because he is a boy and not ready. I am really ok with him not being trained yet. We have new one about to arrive and I have heard the stories of regression and potty training.

However, due to licensing rules at his daycare center, he can't move up to the next room until he is trained. This could pose a problem with the speech and language part of his delay because his friends did move up and now JT is in a room with kids almost one year younger than him.

In an effort to try to get him trained to move to the next room, we enrolled him in Booty Camp! It is run by a pediatric nurse who successfully potty trained her own six children with this method. She specializes in training special needs kids. I thought.....this would be PERFECT! The class was from 9AM-2PM. She claims to potty train in one day and her success rate is 96-98%. She came recommended by a speech therapist. How could we go wrong?

I had an extensive conversation with Wendy, the potty training drill sergeant, before I enrolled JT. I told her all about JT and how he has trouble understanding language. I told her his diagnosis. We talked at great length. I told her he wasn't dressing himself yet. I told her everything I thought would help BEFORE hand just to make sure this was the right thing to do.

Booty Camp was last weekend. It has taken me that long to get the courage up and be able to write an entry for this.

It.was.a.complete.disaster.

I was emotionally spent and physically drained after the five hours. I am not going into much detail because there is far too much I could say on the topic. I had to walk out of the "camp" twice in tears and spent most of the afternoon crying.

We put JT back into diapers once we got home from Booty Camp. It will stay that way until he shows us he is ready. I feel Wendy's approach just will not work for JT (and that is putting it mildly). I am still disappointed that we put JT through 5 hours of this and even though I had an extensive phone conversation before I signed him up, she didn't use any visual aid for JT and EVERYTHING was verbal (and too complicated for him). I guess the words HE DOESN'T UNDERSTAND LANGUAGE and DOES BETTER WITH VISUAL AIDS and is a MONKEY SEE MONKEY DO learner wasn't understood by her.

Her two favorite phrases:"It is your (speaking to the child) responsibility to listen to your body and go pee and poop in the potty."

"That is unacceptable behavior and I will not tolerate it." (when your child has an accident).

If the child DOES have an accident then you make the child clean up their mess, have them throw their undies into a bag and the towels into the garbage, clean themselves up with wipes, and put on a new pair of underwear.

Um....so my child is supposed to understand those phrases when we have been told to use 3-4 word sentences with him. Gotcha......

The child is supposed dress and undress himself and take responsibility of himself for everything. You are not to remind the child to go to the bathroom. They are supposed to just go when they need to. I had no idea this was the method before class. Shame on me for not asking more questions. While I am sure it works for some, I can't see how this would work for JT.

Out of the 5 kids who were there, I swear only 2 may get it. Three of them ended up "boycotting" and would cry when they sat on the potty. One seemed to be doing ok and then there was JT. This lady claims to have a 96-98% success rate. Now I don't believe it.Believe it or not, that is the short version.

I have spoken with JT's daycare teacher, pre-school teacher, the director of the daycare center (who was a special ed teacher), and many friends and family about the results and methods of Booty Camp. Every person had the same reaction. They were mortified and couldn't believe this would work for any 3-something year old.

There is one good thing that came out of Booty Camp. We are now teaching and letting JT try to dress and undress himself. When he is ready, he will at least be able to get his pants down TO go to the potty. So far, he is able to get his shoes off. He is getting better at getting socks off and as long as his pants are loose, he can almost pull those down.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is horrifying! I have no trouble with getting kids to realize there are consequences (like having them help clean up an accident), but to make them feel like a terrible person for doing so? That's awful. Her poor children are probably terrified of her.

P is 3 1/2, potty-trained easily (at just past 2), and we still ask him if he needs to go to the bathroom. We've also been known to tell him to try to go even if he feels like he doesn't need to, especially before bed or getting in the car. What exactly is the harm in that?

I think waiting until JT is ready sounds like a good thing, particularly with just having had that experience. But you can do parts of it and use 3-4 word sentences if he has an accident (whenever you're ready to try underpants again): "Go get underpants", "Help me clean up", little things like that one at a time. All at once would be too much. But dear Lord, what a horrible day that must have been for you both. I hope you're putting it behind you!

Friday, September 07, 2007 10:55:00 AM  
Blogger Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Holy crap. The horror! I'm sure you are doing everything appropriately for your little guy, after all you know him better than anyone else. That woman sounds awful... just awful. Here's hoping for a better weekend. : )

Friday, September 07, 2007 2:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My. How is being mean a "method"?? I seriously don't think that would have worked for any of my kids and my first two were young talkers with huge vocabularies. They would have felt bullied and probably would have reacted by not using the potty for a long long time after!

Friday, September 07, 2007 5:00:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

(((((Nina)))) I'm so sorry you and JT had such a horrible experience. Honestly, I don't think that "method" would have worked with DS either.

Sounds like something did come out of it. Being able to take shoes and socks off is a big deal! It's a stepping stone for him and I'm glad he's picking that up. Pants will be next and then shirts before you know it!

Saturday, September 08, 2007 7:18:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Geez, and this woman was recommended?! K has a large vocabulary but would have been in tears in this "booty camp".

I'm glad you decided to wait. JT will PT when he is good and ready. Plus, I've heard the same things too about a new baby or other life changes and regression so maybe it's better that you decided to wait. I wish his DC would come around and move him up to the next room.

Saturday, September 08, 2007 7:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's screwed up - who knew that bullying was considered a teaching method by some?!? Geez. How horrible for both of you and how lame that she claims success at all?!?! And at what cost?!! I don't know any 3 year old, developmental delays or not, that would understand that kind of language and respond to it but I'm sure the tone is enough to scare the crap (haha) out of some little kids.

I think it shows remarkable strength that you've managed to find a "good thing" to come out of it and are working in baby steps toward the goal. It is so hard to have outside pressure. There are plenty of boys who are 3.5 and NO WHERE NEAR ready to potty train, he is not alone regardless of his challenges. I wish daycares and schools would get with the (developmental) program and stop making this such an issue!!

Saturday, September 08, 2007 9:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever commented before, but here goes. That woman sounds like she has NO experience with special needs kids. My now 5yo DS has autism and it took him between 3yo to 4 1/2yrs to be reliably potty trained. Kids with language delays have a harder time learning new and big things like that.

If you're interested I can find a free site where I printed off good drawn (and fairly explicit, in a good way) potty pics. We put velcro on them and DS would move each card from strip one to the strip two as he completed them. I also have some good stuff on how to potty train in a week or so (you need a couple weeks observation before starting). There is nothing but praise used in that method.

Anyway sorry you had such a horrible experience! I hate idiots who claim to be "specialists".

Saturday, September 08, 2007 10:29:00 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

How horrible for everyone involved. I know that you are not going to start PT'ing until he shows signs of readiness but if he is a visual learner. Charmin (the toilet paper company) will mail you a free potty training kit that comes with stickers and a great visual poster that might be helpful.

Sunday, September 09, 2007 12:08:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home