Life is a Roller Coaster - Come Join the Ride!

My husband and I have been married since 2002 and have known each other since 1997. We have a beautiful son, born in 2004. This is our journey to have a second child (among other things).


Monday, September 17, 2007

Quite the EVENTful Weekend!

I hope this doesn't get too long. To save you time, there is no baby yet :)

It started on Friday when I picked JT up from daycare. I had made haircut appointments for T and JT. I got JT and was going to meet T at the haircut place. We all got there fine. As I was getting JT out of the car, I noticed he had thick gooey discharge coming from his left ear. YUCK! JT had ear tubes put in his ear when he was 9 1/2 months old. The tubes came out on their own when he was a little over 2 years old. When a child has ear tubes, you will see this discharge when they have an ear infection. When a child doesn't have tubes, usually the child will tug or pull on their ear and complain of pain. I was baffled. Why would JT's ear have discharge that looks like an ear infection?

JT was acting fine all last week. While his appetite was off and his nose was stuffy, I chalked it up to having a cold and wasn't worrying about it. There wasn't a fever and all seemed ok. He was even sleeping fine.

I decided to give the Ped. a call the following morning. We got in for a 9:40AM appt. This was perfect timing because the Ped. is 3 blocks from my OB and I had an 11AM OB appt. T and I figured we would get to the Ped, grab some breakfast, and then head to the OB for my ultrasound and appt.

The Ped. was already running late by the time we got there. We were finally seen around 10:30AM and JT certainly does have an ear infection. There was so much fluid that my poor little guy busted his ear drum (which is why we were seeing discharge). It sounds worse than it is. Because he had tubes, there are weak points in his ear drum. The fluid built up and busted through a weak point. This is the body's best way to relieve pressure in the ear. It will heal and all will be ok. JT is now on both ear drops and an antibiotic. We will go back to the Ped once this baby is born to make sure the ear drum closed up properly.

We have about 10 minutes until my OB appt. We immediately head to the OB appt. It figures, my very timely OB is running late. Actually, the ultrasound tech is running late.....but an hour we discover after the hour is up. As I sit in the waiting room, the baby is moving fine. Do you see where this is going yet? I haven't had anything to eat and only have had a single cup of decaf coffee since 8:30AM. It is now noon.

I get called back to the ultrasound room. We get started on the BPP (bio physical profile). My fluid level is fine. The fetal heart tone is fine. The baby is sleeping/resting/whatever you want to call it. The baby will.not.wake.up. The baby will.not.move. Out of a possible 8 points I can score on the ultrasound, I get 4. The OB wants to give me a NST. We gave up on NST's a while ago because this jumping bean will not sit still to be monitored. Well, on Saturday, the baby sat still. The goal is to get 3 heart rate accelerations in about 30 minutes. We didn't get one. I told the OB about the lack of fluid and food. It didn't matter. He sent me to the hospital for monitoring and lunch.

The time? It is about 1PM now.

So.....we hit a BK drive thru for JT and T. The OB told me not to eat because they would give me something at the hospital. Uh-huh....next time I get something on the way. We get to the hospital around 1:45PM. I tell the L&D nurse I haven't eaten or had anything to drink. She hooks me up to the monitor and gets me 8 oz. of juice. She also tells me it will take about an hour to get something to eat because I have to be in the computer system first. I suck the juice down. She tells me my urine is showing I am slightly dehydrated - no shit......I am shocked.....

Sure enough....the baby starts moving fine. We get a positive NST (3 heart rate accelerations) inside of 15 minutes. YAY! Forget the food, I am going to be out of there soon and will just pick something up. I suck down 40 oz. of water. The L&D nurse, Haley, calls the OB. She comes back in and tells me the OB wants to do a repeat BPP. ACK! Ultrasound will take me in about 30 minutes which will mean closer to 3PM. I order something to eat.

Come on now.....can you guess what happened next?

Transport comes to take me for my ultrasound before any food gets there. The baby has been moving for at least an hour and now is calm again. Great. I go to ultrasound and we re-do the BPP. To make a long story short, I score an 8 out of 8 on the BPP after some coaxing of the baby to move again.

I get back to L&D and decide no matter what, I am going to sign myself out if the OB gives me a hard time. The baby is doing just fine and all I really need is more to drink and something to eat!!! It is now 3:30PM.

I get back to L&D and the food is there. I scarf down half of the grilled chicken sandwich and salad when Haley appears telling me I can go home! WOOHOO! IO am relieved and happy. What an ordeal!

The day finally continues at 4PM! We had plans to see some friends and T and I both needed to have a little fun. We call and tell our friends we are running a little late, but will be there.

We quickly get JT's prescriptions filled, pick up my car which was in the shop getting a brake job done, run home to pick up a few things, and head to our friends'.

We had a nice evening with our friends which was very much needed.

Sunday was nice as well. Although we had a very long TO DO list, we decided to throw caution to the wind and drive west about 80 miles to see T's folks who went camping this weekend. We spent most of the afternoon sitting around and just relaxing. We ate dinner by the campfire and got home around 9PM. Sure, it will be tough to get our housework done during the week, but we all needed a day of relaxation and enjoyment.

Here we are at Monday. I am a bit tired and still not quite ready for the baby to get here. I want to cherish every last moment of this pregnancy. This is my last week of work before maternity leave. Many don't think I will make it all week, but I have incentive to do so. I can't tell you why right now, but I hope to later this week.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

Yikes what a long and hungry day.

Monday, September 17, 2007 9:08:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that is one long and stressful day! i would have totally passed out cold if I didn't eat while that pregnant for so long! Geez, people, get a clue!!! I hope you have your baby soon just so you don't have to deal with that again in a week! haha

Monday, September 17, 2007 1:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home